This week's highlights: Apple is working to create a medicine management tool for iPhone, Google has issued its third urgent update for Chrome, & MUSE announced MEDITECH Executives Michelle O'Connor and Helen Waters as the keynote speakers at the 2022 MUSE Inspire Conference in May.
Regulatory, Legislative, and Legal News
- HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra has announced a 90-day extension of the public health emergency that was due to expire on April 16th.
Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids and plans to ask the FDA for authorization in the coming weeks.
The HHS and other agencies have opened the online portal through which uninsured and self-pay patients may initiate the patient-provider dispute resolution process related to good faith estimates.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services proposed bumping up inpatient hospital funds by roughly $1.6 billion in fiscal 2023.
Financial and Investment News
- Northwell Health is working with Aegis Ventures, a New York-based startup studio to launch Ascertain, a joint company creation platform to develop and commercialize artificial intelligence companies to tackle various healthcare challenges.
- Clipboard Health, an online marketplace that matches nurses and other healthcare professionals with staffing opportunities, has raised $80 million over two funding rounds.
- Amazon.com on Wednesday said it will impose an average 5% fuel and inflation surcharge on merchants to warehouse and ship their products in the United States, in response to rising costs.
New Products and Services
- Apple is working to create a medicine management tool for iPhone users, Bloomberg reported April 12th.
- The Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Co. added more than 80 generic drugs to its product list April 14th. The company currently offers 140 low-cost versions of common generic drugs.
- DuckDuckGo has launched a beta version of their browser app for Mac and is planning an upcoming launch of a Windows version.
Privacy and Security
- Less than a week after patching critical security defects affecting multiple enterprise-facing products, VMware is warning that one of the flaws is being exploited in the wild.
- Google has issued its third urgent update for Chrome, one that patches another zero-day vulnerability in the highly-used desktop web browser.
- GitHub has sounded the alarm on a cyberattack that resulted in the private repositories of dozens of organizations being downloaded by an unauthorized party abusing stolen OAuth user tokens.
- The CDC said Tuesday the BA.2 sub-variant of Omicron was estimated to account for 85.9% of the coronavirus variants in the country. The Northeast, including New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts, is the hardest hit region.
- MUSE announced MEDITECH Executives Michelle O'Connor and Helen Waters as the keynote speakers at the 2022 MUSE Inspire Conference in May.
- Babylon Health has announced a partnership with Google Cloud to boost scalability and innovation.